|YHAI BHARUCH UNIT : YEAR 1983-84|
Friday, March 8, 2013
YHAI KEEP ROHTANG PASS CLEAN - 2013
- PROJECT : Rohtang Pass (el. 13,051 ft (3,978 m) 51 KM from Manali, is a high mountain pass that connects the Kullu Valley with the Lahaul and Spiti valleys of Himachal Pradesh, India. We had organized our first Trekking Programme in Manali area of Himachal Pradesh in 1970. Since then, we had never looked back and have been organizing programmes in Kullu-Manali regularly. During all these years, we have seen Rohtang Pass getting dirtier and polluted as thousands of tourists visit Rohtang Pass every day in the tourist season. They use their own cars, taxis and other vehicles to go to this Pass to enjoy snow and allied sports. Due to our long association with this region, we feel concerned about the deteriorating environment and pollution at such an important pass. During last four years, we have successfully completed the Keep Rohtang Pass Clean programme wherein our volunteers gave their services which was highly appreciated by the tourists and local administration.
- Once again as part of the strategy to continue the programme it was decided to organize this year also during the month of MAY 2013. This year we have thought little differently. We have plan to sensitize the youth of the valley i.e students of schools and colleges through awareness programmes by organizing different type of competitions among them on the topic of Environment viz, drawing, spot painting, essay writing, debate etc.
- WHO CAN PARTICIPATE : Volunteers for each group shall consist of YHAI members from different states in order of preference: Camp leaders, Co Directors, Field Directors, Participants of National/ State level High altitude Expedition. The application should be forwarded by the respective State Branches.
- CRITERIA FOR SELECTION : Preferred age group – 20 Years to 50 Years , The Volunteer should be in excellent physical and medical fitness duly certified by a Registered Doctor., The volunteers must have taste for adventure and willingness to serve as volunteer in rough and tough terrain., The volunteers should be able to withhold the stress and strain in such high altitude at Rohtang Pass which has a height of 13051 feet for a long duration of 7 days. Right of selection of volunteers is reserved with Youth Hostels Association of India, New Delhi
- REPORTING DATES : The Volunteers have to report at the base camp Seobagh on the first day of the each batch in which they have selected or have been nominated:
- Reporting Date Check Out Date : 1st Batch 15th May 2013 to 22nd May 2013,2nd Batch 19th May 2013 to 26th May 2013,3rd Batch 23rd May 2013 to 30th May 2013,4th Batch 27th May 2013 to 3rd June 2013, 5th Batch 31st May 2013 to 7th June 2013.Registration of the volunteers to be made as per aforesaid criteria through YHAI State Branches; each group shall consist of 10 to 12 volunteers from different states.
- DURATION : The Programme begins on 15th May 2013, with Youth Hostel Seobagh as Base Camp. Volunteers have to report at the base camp as per their selection as confirmed by the YHAI. The duration of the camp for each group of volunteers is 7 Days and 7 Nights and departure after breakfast on 8thday.
- WHERE TO REPORT : Youth Hostel Seobagh is 3 kms from Kullu on the left bank of river Beas near Jairu Mineral Water Plant. It is linked by road via RAM SILA orchards and terraced fields and commands a panoramic view of surrounding mountains. Regular bus services are available for Kullu from Delhi, Chandigarh & Punjab, Nearest Railway Station is Chandigarh (310 kms) & Nearest Airport is Bhuntar (11 kms).WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING : Woolen jackets, Woolen & cotton cloths, walking shoes, raincoats, hand gloves, woolen muffler or monkey caps, bed sheet, sun glass, woolen socks, torch with spare batteries, lunch box, water bottle, steel mugs, plate, spoon, cold cream, toilet paper, cold cream/Vaseline/Anti-sunburn cream, medicine which you normally use at home.
- DAY 1 : Report at Base Camp Youth Hostel Seobagh (Kullu)
- DAY 2 : Acclimatization & Orientation
- DAY 3 : Shifting of volunteers to Marhi (3320 mtr)
- DAY 4 to DAY 7 : MARHI to ROHTANG PASS and back
- DAY 8: Group breaks after breakfast from Seobagh
- No participation fees. Volunteers have to bear only the traveling expenses to and fro Seobagh to their respective hometown. Volunteers shall be awarded with Certificate for their Volunteer work ON COMPLETION.
- What YHAI will provide: 1. Accommodation in tents with blankets and sleeping bags. 2. Simple nutritious Vegetarian food. 3. To and fro transport for Marhi / Rohtang Pass. 4. Jacket on returnable basis,
- RISK FACTORS : This is a high altitude adventure oriented voluntary work at 13,050 ft high Rohtang Pass for four to five hours daily for six days which can lead to: • High altitude sickness leading to Pulmonary Oedema, Exhaustion due to stress and strain, Any unforeseen event ,YHAI will provide adequate assistance in the above circumstances but cannot be held YHAI responsible for any risks mentioned or not mentioned above. Volunteer desirous of joining this voluntary work may apply on a prescribed Registration form (appended) duly supported by a Medical certificate through state branch.
- LAST DATE FOR APPLICATION IS ON/ BEFORE 10 May, 2013.
- For any query, please contact National Office, Delhi on telephone Nos.011-45999000, 45999007 , firstname.lastname@example.org or Shri Padmanabh Dave, Project Coordinator at his Number: 09437061774.email : email@example.com